The job that you only know about by knowing someone.

“I want to be a Student Affairs professional” said no child ever. Growing up, no one, unless exposed to the career, dreams of being in Student Affairs (at least directly). This job is not one you see at career fairs, or in movies; it is especially unique. Most people do not even know this job exists. One major reason for this is because student affairs deals with a lot of the behind the scenes work in higher education institutions. It is like the brain behind the institution. Furthermore, students don’t often realize they are utilizing services of this division.

What I have found in my short time being involved in Student Affairs is that the professionals in the industry never started out down this path. Many of them were heading down one road, and then met someone in the student affairs profession who changed their course. This is much like my story. I came to college wanting to be a senior communications/public relation’s executive of a company. Never did I think I would go to graduate school, let alone want to someday receive a PhD. Then, I started working on campus, which connected me with some influential people who saw something more in me. It took just one of them saying to me, “have you ever thought about going into student affairs? I think you would be great at it.” From that moment on, my life course changed directions.


Student affairs may not be a profession many people are aware of, but it is crucial to the advancement of our post-secondary education system.

Comments